Not much to report from Rangers land lately, here’s a quick
rundown of some news and stuff from around the web:
- Marc Staal still hasn’t signed, and there’s no
indication that anything is close
- 19 days till the Traverse City Tournament!
- Steve Zipay reports the Rangers will unveil a new 3rd jersey this season
- Ryan Bourque is the first Rangers prospect in action
this year, and of course Jess Rubenstein is all over it
- Alex Frolov talks about why he chose the Rangers
- Last week’s Research and Development Camp, held by
former Ranger Brendan Shanahan, produced some interesting results. Most of the possible changes studied were
designed to further promote scoring. But
still, possible alterations to OT and the shootout are good by me. It sounds like a 3 on 3 OT period before the
shootout was quite popular, as was a thicker blue line and a new hybrid icing
concept. None of these will be
implemented this year, if ever, but it’s something to chew on.
- Speaking of the shootout, the NHL announced that the
new first tiebreaker in the standings will be determined by which team has the
higher number of regulation and overtime wins, thus reducing the impact of
shootout wins. Probably bad news for the
Rangers, who, outside of last year, have had great success in the
shootout. But good for the game on the
whole. Now if they would just get rid
of it entirely…
- Our August issue has shipped! Keep an eye on your mailboxes.
So let’s hear your thoughts on some of this stuff! And out of curiosity, would anyone be
interested in a BB fantasy hockey league this season?