The Bulletin Board keeps you abreast of the latest news around the NHL Monday-Friday.
- Former Rangers’ prospect Evgeny Grachev - traded at the 2011
draft for the third-round pick that became Steven Fogarty - has made the
St. Louis Blues’ 23-man roster.
- Another former Rangers’ prospect, Roman Horak, has
blown the Calgary Flames away with his play this fall and may end
up as the team’s third-line center. Horak was packaged with two second-round picks in June in the deal that
brought Tim Erixon to the Rangers. Horak
was believed to be a couple of years away from the NHL, but he’s
been terrific and may have pushed Matt Stajan out of the lineup.
- 21-year-old Toronto Maple Leafs defenseman Jake Gardiner has been a revelation this fall. The former teammate of Derek Stepan and Ryan
McDonagh at Wisconsin has outplayed Mike Komisarek, Carl Gunnarsson, Cody Franson and Keith Aulie and
has forced himself onto Toronto’s roster. The Leafs are stocked on defense and there have been rumors that the
team is shopping Gunnarsson. Gardiner’s
play may prompt Toronto to make a move sooner than later.
- Brandon Saad has apparently made the
Chicago Blackhawks. He’ll be one of
the very few second-round picks that jumps straight to the NHL in their draft
- 2011 top pick Ryan Nugent-Hopkins will start
the season with the Edmonton Oilers. He could be sent back to the WHL after a nine-game stint with Edmonton
if the team deems it necessary, but RNH is probably up for good. The Oilers waived
- Fabian Brunnstrom appears
to have made the Detroit Red Wings.
- Ottawa and Columbus will both carry several rookies to start
the season. The Senators will keep
2011 No. 6 overall pick Mika Zibanejad in addition to Stephane Da Costa,
David Rundblad and Jared Cowen. The Blue
Jackets will keep
2010 No. 4 overall pick Ryan Johansen, Cam Atkinson, Maksim Mayorov and
- The Winnipeg Jets signed
rookie phenom Mark Scheifele to an entry-level deal. The Jets will get nine games to look decide
whether to keep Scheifele or reassign him to his junior team.
- Devils’ training camp tryout Petr Sykora continues
to practice on a line with Zach Parise and Patrik Elias. Sounds like he’s going to get a contract
- Nino Niederreiter has outplayed former
Ranger P.A. Parenteau at Islanders’ camp and will take a spot in the team’s
top-six, relegating Parenteau to one of the bottom lines.
- The Los Angeles Kings signed
tryout Trent Hunter, a former New York Islander, to a one-year deal.
- Via Ilya
Bryzgalov: “I thought I have seen everything in hockey, but I was surprised
when I saw #Jagr at
12am doing work out at the practice rink. WOW!!!”
- Former Ranger Ales Kotalik didn’t report
to Buffalo’s AHL affiliate after being demoted and has returned to the
- Evgeni Malkin has found
new motivation and is a popular Hart Trophy pick.
- Sidney Crosby doesn’t
expect to play in Pittsburgh’s season-opener.
- Matthew Lombardi, who missed all but two games last year, played
his first game with the Toronto Maple Leafs.
- Toronto’s Clarke MacArthur was
suspended for two regular-season games for an illegal hit on Justin
- Check out Puck Daddy’s 20
bold predictions for the season.
Past editions of the Bulletin Board:
- 2011 First-Round Draft Picks Shine In Preseason Action >
- Jody Shelley Delivers First Controversial Hit of 2011 Season >
- Shanahan Impresses As New NHL Disciplinarian >
– Sidney Crosby Participates In “Controlled Scrimmage” >
– Montreal Signs Chris Campoli >
– Top 2011 Draft Picks Shine In Preseason Action >
– Sestito Suspended Four Games For Hit On Deveaux >
– Kings Lock Doughty Up With Huge Deal >
10/3/11 – Former Rangers’ Prospects Grachev And Horak Make
NHL Clubs >
here for our full Summer 2011 Archive >
Follow us on Twitter (@NYRBlueBulletin and @kevinbaumer) and on Facebook.