The Bulletin Board keeps you abreast of the latest news
around the NHL Monday-Friday.
- The Rangers’ decision to
waive Sean Avery could cause major problems for the Dallas Stars. Dallas was on the hook for half of Avery’s
salary since the Blueshirts claimed him on re-entry waivers, but with Avery
likely to play in Europe or the AHL, his contract won’t count towards the NHL
salary cap and the Stars may be
dangerously close to the salary cap floor. Dallas may have to keep a player with a bigger salary in the lineup just
accommodate the cap.
- The Philadelphia Flyers demoted
prized prospect Brayden Schenn, acquired from the Los Angeles Kings in the
Mike Richards deal, to the AHL. This was
a smart more for the Flyers because if Schenn plays just one game in the AHL
NHL cap hit drops from $3 million to $1.75 million. For a team like the Flyers that is always up
against the cap, demoting Schenn is well worth the savings.
- Here are the Boston
Bruins’ 2011 Stanley Cup rings.
- 22-year-old Calgary Flames center Mikael Backlund will miss
six weeks with a broken finger.
- The Tampa Bay Lightning placed 35-year-old defenseman
Matthias Ohlund on injured reserve with a knee injury.
- The New York Islanders signed Jay
- The Islanders also signed 2011 fifth-overall pick Ryan
Strome to an entry-level
deal and he’ll
start the year with the club.
- The New Jersey Devils signed
34-year-old training camp tryout Petr Sykora.
- The Devils also traded
David Steckel to the Toronto Maple Leafs for a fourth-round pick.
- Chicago rookie Brandon Saad will become the first
second-round pick to jump straight to the NHL since Ryan O’Reilly did it for
Colorado in 2009. Saad will skate on a
Jonathan Toews and Patrick Sharp to start the season.
- Carolina Hurricanes rookie defenseman Justin Faulk has not
only made the team, he’s worked his
way into the team’s top-four.
- Inexplicably, Chuck Kobasew will
start the season on one of Colorado’s top two lines.
- 2010 sixth-overall pick Brett Connolly will start
the year with the Tampa Bay Lightning.
- 2011 second-overall pick Tyler Seguin has been moved
to the wing.
- Remember David Aebischer? The Winnipeg Jets signed him
to an AHL deal.
- To eliminate confusion, Brendan Shanahan and the NHL released
this video on what constitutes a clean hit.
- Elliotte Friedman’s terrific weekly column,
Past editions of the Bulletin Board:
- 2011 First-Round Draft Picks Shine In Preseason Action >
- Jody Shelley Delivers First Controversial Hit of 2011 Season >
- Shanahan Impresses As New NHL Disciplinarian >
– Sidney Crosby Participates In “Controlled Scrimmage” >
– Montreal Signs Chris Campoli >
– Top 2011 Draft Picks Shine In Preseason Action >
– Sestito Suspended Four Games For Hit On Deveaux >
– Kings Lock Doughty Up With Huge Deal >
– Former Rangers’ Prospects Grachev And Horak Make NHL Clubs >
– Steve Valiquette Is The New Goalie Coach At Quinnipiac University >
10/5/11 – Waiving Of Avery Could Wreak Havoc On The Stars’ Salary
Cap Situation >
here for our full Summer 2011 Archive >
Follow us on Twitter (@NYRBlueBulletin and @kevinbaumer) and on Facebook.