The Bulletin Board keeps you abreast of the latest news
around the NHL Monday-Friday.
- The Edmonton Oilers win their fifth-straight game yesterday
and sit atop the Western Conference.
Edmonton has had a
lead in 10 consecutive games and the only game this season the Oilers never
led was the first of the year, which they won in a shootout. The Oilers are about
to embark on a six-game road trip, which could easily knock them backwards.
- Just over a week ago the Ottawa Senators called a players’
only meeting to discuss their awful 1-5 start to the season, but now Ottawa is
the hottest team in hockey and has
- Rumors are swirling that the Columbus Blue Jackets are preparing
to fire GM Scott Howson and Coach Scott Arniel. Former Calgary GM and current TSN analyst
Craig Button is thought to be the potential new general manager and Ken
Hitchcock could return to his post behind the bench.
- Detroit re-signed defenseman Niklas Kronwall to a seven-year
contract extension worth $33.25 million.
- It took Jaromir Jagr a while to get going this season, but
after going goal-less in his first seven games he now has five markers in his
last three. Jagr has been part of an
explosive line with Claude Giroux and Scott Hartnell that has 23 points in the Flyers’ last
- Montreal beat Boston on Saturday to pick up its
third-straight win. Boston is just
- Nashville goalie Pekka Rinne picked up his 100th career win
on Saturday, a
3-0 shutout of Anaheim.
- Vinny Prospal scored his fifth goal of the season on
Saturday. He has 10 points already this
- In a clash of heavyweights, Vancouver outlasted Washington
7-4 on Saturday as Alex Edler, Chris Higgins and Max Lapierre all scored twice.
- Colorado finally picked up its first home win of the season yesterday,
a 3-2 victory over Los Angeles.
- Former Rangers’ prospect Roman Horak recorded
a goal and an assist for the second game in a row on Friday.
- To no one’s surprise, 2011 first-round picks Adam Larsson and Gabriel Landeskog are in
the NHL to stay.
- Check out this stat: New Jersey has had 46:31 of power play
time this year and Ilya Kovalchuk has
been on the ice for 45:19 of that time, but the Devils have the
second-worst power play in the league.
- This dramatic
realignment plan is picking up momentum.
- Toronto Coach Ron Wilson says Dion Phaneuf is the NHL’s best
a country mile.”
- The Nashville Predators traded Cal O’Reilly to the Phoenix
a fourth-round pick.
- Matthew Hulsizer has agreed
to purchase the St. Louis Blues.
- St. Louis defenseman Kent Huskins is out indefinitely with
a fractured ankle.
- Ilya Bryzgalov was highly critical of himself after Thursday’s
9-8 Philadelphia loss and has been one of the more entertaining quotes in the
NHL for some time. But Bryzgalov has
decided to limit his interviews and will
only speak to the media after games he starts.
- Check out these wild
stats 10-games into the season.
- There are two other games on the schedule
tonight beside San Jose @ New York.
Past editions of the Bulletin Board:
- 2011 First-Round Draft Picks Shine In Preseason Action >
- Jody Shelley Delivers First Controversial Hit of 2011 Season >
- Shanahan Impresses As New NHL Disciplinarian >
– Sidney Crosby Participates In “Controlled Scrimmage” >
– Montreal Signs Chris Campoli >
– Top 2011 Draft Picks Shine In Preseason Action >
– Sestito Suspended Four Games For Hit On Deveaux >
– Kings Lock Doughty Up With Huge Deal >
– Former Rangers’ Prospects Grachev And Horak Make NHL Clubs >
– Steve Valiquette Is The New Goalie Coach At Quinnipiac University >
– Waiving Of Avery Could Wreak Havoc On The Stars’ Salary Cap Situation >
– Hockey Is Back >
– Jagr Picks Up Point #1,600 In Flyers’ Season-Opening Victory >
– Early Goalie Controversy In Washington? >
Prospal Scores Again For Columbus >
– Pittsburgh Rolling Without Crosby And Malkin >
– Sidney Crosby Cleared For Contact >
– Aaron Asham Is The Talk Of The League >
– Mark Messier Will Run The New York City Marathon >
– Colorado Wins Fifth-Straight Road Game, Leads Western Conference >
– New-look Flyers Off To Fast Start >
- Kessel Carrying The Leafs >
- Dale Weise Scores First NHL Goal >
– Vancouver Acquires David Booth >
- Jagr Scores First Two Goals Of The Season >
- Columbus Finally Wins >
– Montreal Fires Former Rangers’ Assistant Coach Perry Pearn >
– Philadelphia And Winnipeg Combine For 17 Goals!? >
10/31/11 - Edmonton And Ottawa Riding Surprising Hot Streaks >