The Bulletin Board keeps you abreast of the latest news
around the NHL Monday-Friday.
- On Saturday Montreal fired coach Jacques Martin after a 12-13-3
start. Randy Cunneyworth has taken over
on an interim basis. Since Buffalo hired
Lindy Ruff in July 1997 there have been 169
coaching changes in the league and Ruff is still going strong. There have been 12 coaching changes made since the
end of last season.
- Los Angeles hired Darryl
Sutter to take over for interim coach John Stevens. The team fired Terry Murray last week.
- Ray Emery won
his fifth straight start in place of struggling starting goalie Corey
Crawford as Chicago beat Calgary 4-2 yesterday.
Blackhawks’ coach Joel Quenville picked up his 600th career
victory in the contest.
- After losing to Nashville on Saturday the Blues scored four
goals in the third period to upend Columbus 6-4 yesterday.
- The Devils whipped the Stars on Scott
Niedermayer night on Friday 6-3. New
Jersey recorded its seventh shorthanded goal of the season. The team had just three
last year. Zach Parise had a
four-point night for the Devils.
- New Jersey won again on Saturday, beating Montreal 5-3. Patrik Elias scored twice in the contest and became the
Devils’ all-time leading goal-scorer with 348.
- Jason Spezza had a four-point night to help Ottawa top
Pittsburgh 6-4 on Friday. The Senators
scored five goals during a wild second period that featured eight tallies
- Evgeni Malkin helped the Penguins bounce back with a hat
trick and two assists as Pittsburgh defeated Buffalo 8-3 on Saturday. Marc-Andre Fleury picked up his 200th career victory for the Penguins.
- Tim Thomas made 31 saves to blank Philadelphia on Saturday
as the Bruins halted the Flyers’ win streak at seven games. Zdeno Chara had a
Gordie Howe hat trick for Boston.
- Teemu Selanne returned
to Winnipeg as Anaheim visited the Jets on Saturday and the fans of Selanne’s
first NHL home gave him a tremendous ovation.
Unfortunately for Selanne, Winnipeg added to the Ducks’ woes with a 5-3
- Coaching changes seem to have made no difference for Los
Angeles as Detroit trounced the Kings 8-2 on Saturday.
- Vinny Prospal played in his 1,000th career game on Saturday and recorded two assists, but Columbus fell to Tampa Bay 3-2.
- On Saturday Phoenix finally dealt Kyle
Turris to Ottawa for the impressive return of defenseman David Rundblad and
a second-round pick.
- Pittsburgh placed Sidney Crosby on
injured reserve and the superstar is “out indefinitely.” Placing Crosby on IR has little bearing on
when he’ll return, but it sounds like this could be another long-term absence.
- Philadelphia rookie Sean Couturier may be the latest Flyer
to join Chris Pronger and Claude Giroux on the shelf with a concussion after taking
a puck to the head on Saturday. So
far there’s been no official diagnosis of Couturier’s injury, but concussion is
the logical guess.
- San Jose defenseman Dan Boyle had a rough start to the season
and now we know why. He was playing
with a broken foot.
- The Sharks’ trade of Dany Heatley for Martin Havlat was
baffling based on talent, but when you consider the fact that Havlat is among
the most injury-prone players in the league, the trade is even more
mind-boggling. Havlat somehow managed to
injure himself on
a line change this weekend.
- Edmonton assigned disappointing sophomore winger Magnus Paajarvi to
Oklahoma City of the AHL.
- TV analyst and notorious hothead Mike Millbury has been charged
with assault and battery of a 12-year-old boy at a youth hockey game.
- Mark Messier is displeased with Vancouver and believes
the team still owes him money as part of the contract he signed in 1997.
- Here are Elliotte Friedman’s “30
- There are six games on the schedule
tonight. Anaheim @ Dallas will be on
Versus at 8:00 p.m.
Past editions of the Bulletin Board:
- 2011 First-Round Draft Picks Shine In Preseason Action >
- Jody Shelley Delivers First Controversial Hit of 2011 Season >
- Shanahan Impresses As New NHL Disciplinarian >
– Sidney Crosby Participates In “Controlled Scrimmage” >
– Montreal Signs Chris Campoli >
– Top 2011 Draft Picks Shine In Preseason Action >
– Sestito Suspended Four Games For Hit On Deveaux >
– Kings Lock Doughty Up With Huge Deal >
– Former Rangers’ Prospects Grachev And Horak Make NHL Clubs >
– Steve Valiquette Is The New Goalie Coach At Quinnipiac University >
– Waiving Of Avery Could Wreak Havoc On The Stars’ Salary Cap Situation >
– Hockey Is Back >
– Jagr Picks Up Point #1,600 In Flyers’ Season-Opening Victory >
– Early Goalie Controversy In Washington? >
Prospal Scores Again For Columbus >
– Pittsburgh Rolling Without Crosby And Malkin >
– Sidney Crosby Cleared For Contact >
– Aaron Asham Is The Talk Of The League >
– Mark Messier Will Run The New York City Marathon >
– Colorado Wins Fifth-Straight Road Game, Leads Western Conference >
– New-look Flyers Off To Fast Start >
- Kessel Carrying The Leafs >
- Dale Weise Scores First NHL Goal >
– Vancouver Acquires David Booth >
- Jagr Scores First Two Goals Of The Season >
- Columbus Finally Wins >
– Montreal Fires Former Rangers’ Assistant Coach Perry Pearn >
– Philadelphia And Winnipeg Combine For 17 Goals!? >
- Edmonton And Ottawa Riding Surprising Hot Streaks >
– Chicago’s Stanley Cup Hangover Is In The Past >
- Ovechkin Benched >
– Brodeur Now Tied For Most Losses In NHL History >
- Predators Lock Up Pekka Rinne >
– Blues Fire Payne, Bring In Hitchcock >
– Boston Is Back >
– Blues Cruise In Hitchcock’s Return >
– Bizarre Scene In Tampa Bay >
– The Blue Jackets Are Awful >
– Milan Lucic Gives Ryan Miller A Concussion >
– Lucic Avoids Suspension For Hit On Miller >
– Malkin And Duchene Trade Beautiful Goals >
– Jhonas Enroth Finally Sputters >
– The Blues Are 4-0-1 Under Ken Hitchcock >
– Crosby Returns >
– The Sidney Crosby Show >
– Will Buffalo Seek Revenge On Milan Lucic? >
– Blake Comeau On Waivers >
– Washington Fires Boudreau, Carolina Axes Maurice >
– Vancouver’s Tough Decision In Goal >
– Hitchcock Rights The Ship In St. Louis >
– Ducks Fire Carlyle, Replace Him With Boudreau >
– Pittsburgh Tops Washington >
– Minnesota Is The Best Team In The League!? >
– Four-Conference Realignment Plan Passes >
– Bruins Finally Lose In Regulation >
– Claude Giroux Is The New NHL Points Leader >
– Third-String Goalie Doesn’t Prevent Wild From Picking Up Sixth Straight Road
– Kings On The Verge Of Firing Terry Murray? >
– Kings Fire Terry Murray >
– “24/7” Debuts Tonight >
– Concussions Galore >
– Pronger Out For The Year >
12/19/11 – More Coaching Changes - Montreal Fires Martin,
Sutter Takes Over In L.A. >
here for our full 2011-2012 Season Archive >
Follow us on Twitter (@NYRBlueBulletin and @kevinbaumer) and on Facebook.